Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Transparency: A look in the mirror

In writing this blog, which has gained a surprising number of visitors, I try to remain completely transparent. What I mean by transparent is simple. Take a look at any of the other fitness guys and gals' blogs and you will see a huge difference from the tone and content of my information.



I believe I know my audience well enough that I can write about relevant topics. For example, I know there is no chance most of you are willing to give up alcohol (neither am I), so I give you advice in order to optimize your health and fitness while allowing for some booze consumption. I also know that there is no chance that everyone is going to eat perfect, so I advise you to eat like a saint during the week, and then allow yourself to get a little more aggressive on the weekend. Same with training. None of you have the time or want to spend the time in the gym that other fitness professionals advise. If I can give you something that will be 30 minutes and done, I think the chances of you actually following it increase tenfold. Well anyways, here is a peak into what I have been up to:



Training:



Looking at the notebook I keep as a training log, there is a pattern over the past 5 weeks...
  • 3 times per week I lift heavy weights. exercises include squat variations, deadlift variations, tons of pullups, rows, and presses.

  • 2 times per week I do a conditioning circuit like the 15 minute circuits I have written about in the past.

  • At least once per week I play hockey for RX and I usually go pretty hard

Nutrition:


Monday through Friday afternoon, I eat the same exact thing.


1. 4 eggs, wheat toast, tons of water

2. Protein Shake

3. Post workout protein shake

4. Dinner of chicken, fish, or steak with veggies (NO STARCH)

Come Friday night, I usually have a bunch of drinks and an appetizer or two, and then maintain mediocre nutrition for the remainder of the weekend, with the occasional Chinese food feed with my family Sunday nights. Come Monday, right back on the wagon.

Is this a GREAT diet? Absolutely not. Has it been working? You bet. I have gotten bigger, stronger, leaner, and faster.

Take some of the pieces that will work for you and put them to work today.

No comments: