Friday, October 10, 2008

Everyday is a Friday...Random Training Notes


Everyone loves Fridays. Friday means the weekend is here and you have two days to basically do whatever you want. What if you could live your life with the same "Friday is here" feeling everyday? A lot of it is about mindset but the majority of that feeling comes from doing things you love everyday. What is holding you back?


Yesterday in the gym, Ed O'Connor casually tells me, "I am definitely noticing results. Since July, I started to take your advice about nutrition and really started focusing in the gym. In that time frame I have gained about 26 pounds." I was shocked. I mean Ed looks great but that is some serious weight. Anyone who works out with Ed knows that he has gotten bigger but still absolutely jumps out of the building and his acceleration is second to none.

Brian Byrne and Brian MacDonald have been working together with me since the summer. When I first got to training these two guys, I knew we had a lot of work to do. They had some faulty movement technique, were slow, weak, and couldn't jump. So last night we were training doing some single leg plyo work, some acceleration, and basic athleticism drills and they killed it. They were agile, fast, explosive. When we got to our strength training Mac hang cleaned 145 for 3 reps and Byrnesy did 135 for 2. These are two guys who worked with the bar for about their first 4 weeks. We moved to pullups. Mac was able to do 6, 5, 5 for sets. Byrnesy, who usually sucks at pullups, was able to match Mac's numbers.

What does all of this mean? Well, basic programming, hard work, and a good competitive training atmosphere can help young athletes take leaps and bounds in their performance.
Have a great Friday.
Sull


No comments: