Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nutrition For High School Athletes


About 2 weeks ago after a relay race style workout that I completed with a handful of my high school guys we sat down on the floor and had a talk about diet. Most of them had no clue what they should be putting in their bodies. So based on our talk I left them with a few take away points.

1. A good breakfast is not cereal. Cereal sucks, no matter what kind it if. Yes, Special K Blows too. A good breakfast involves a handful of eggs, some oatmeal or whole grain bread with natural peanut butter, fruit, and as much water as you can stomach. Guys were shocked when I told them this.

2. A lot of the guys said there was no way they could eat that much food. So I told them to eat last nights leftover dinner, a sandwich, pizza, or a protein shake with some fruit. Then they came back with, "I don't have time to eat that much." Simple, get up 20 minutes earlier if you are serious about performance.

3. Eat 6 times per day.

4. All of them left with instructions to order a protein supplement. I feel this is crucial. At the very least immediately post workout combined with some simple carbs.

5. Drink a gallon of water per day.

6. At sub shops, stay away from steak and cheese and cold cuts. A better option is steak tips or grilled chicken.

7. Lean guys have a bit more freedom with starch. Heavy guys need to get rid of most of the starch in their diets including things like potato, pasta, bread, corn.

8. In the cafeteria, avoid eating pizza and fries everyday. I thought this was a no brainer but it deserves getting mentioned I guess.


Check the facebook group for some new videos including the Eagle's broad jump.

No comments: