Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October 21st, 2008


I spent last Thursday through Sunday playing golf in Myrtle Beach. The trip was very enjoyable with 4 rounds of golf being played at four different courses as well as catching up with three of my buddies from Babson Hockey '06. A couple of quick thoughts about he trip as it relates to this blog:


1. There is something to be said for training for strength and power and the way it transfers to golf. I have never really been a great golfer. I usually score in the high 80s. This weekend was much different however as I had noticeably more pop off the tee. Even when I mishit the ball I had more distance and found my club selection to be about 1 less club than usual.


2. Being strong and mobile in the joints leads to minimal residual soreness after taking roughly 400 swings. Any recovery issues were tied to minimal sleep and too many cocktails. Most issues were from wear and tear on the skin of my hands.


This week in the gym we are doing some heavy loading of the big exercises. I had two guys (Pat and Ed) front squat 230 pounds pretty easily on a heavy single. Probably would have been closer to 250. I also had guys doing 50 pounds of external load on p-grip chinups. I will post more personal bests as the week goes on as well as coming up with a leaderboard for some specific exercises.

No comments: