Friday, October 3, 2008

Training the youngsters...

This past week I became the strength and conditioning coach of the Boston Patriots Select Hockey Organization. They currently have three teams that I work with to provide an off-ice component to their training. When I took on the position I was faced with some difficulties.

1. The kids I would be training would be 11, 12, and 13 years old. I haven't had a whole lot of athletes that young to train yet, so I was faced with a little unknown territory there.

2. The groups would be anywhere from 13-16 kids at one time, which is larger than the 6-8 kid groups I usually train and have grown quite comfortable with.

3. I would not be provided with any equipment aside from plenty of open space under the roof of the new rink in Dedham.

4. These kids were very new to the world of training that didn't take place on the ice.

5. I had to figure out a way to provide a 20 week progressive strength training program with no weights available unless I were to bring some over from the gym, which I am toying with.

Here is how I have and plan to handle this. Any feedback is always appreciated.

1. We will begin with 6-8 minutes of dynamic warmup. This will include high knee walk, high knee skip, high knee run, hip walkovers, spiderman, backpedal, side shuffle, carioca, etc. The goal of the continuous warmup is to prepare the body for movement, introduce some semi-athletic drills, and get the kids moving.

2. Next I have decided to break them up into 4 lines of 3-4 kids. I have the first line step up to go through the first exercise (two legged squat jump focusing on landing mechanics). While the first group goes, the rest of the young lads will perform a stickhandling drill (I require them to bring a stick and ball) whether it be narrow dribble, wide dribble, side dribble, etc. This eliminates standing around and effing around. The line system allows me to watch the mechanics and coach 4 guys at a time which is manageable.

3. The exercises I have planned are things like squat jumps, skating bounds, split squats, pushups, planks, back bridge, glute activation, short sprints. I am struggling with the fact that there is not much on an option for any vertical or horizontal pulling.

Thats all for now...any feedback or advice is appreciated.

No comments: